Monday, March 31, 2014

March Madness Non-D&D Blog Challenge: Day 31: What out-of-print RPG would you most like to see back in publication?

The original RuneQuest, because I totally missed it the first time around.   Back in high school I subscribed (and occasionally contributed) to a gaming fanzine called Alarums & Excursions.  It was sort of a collection of blogs--but on paper, because this was the late 70's and the internet was still 20 years away.  Little did I know at the time that the people contributing were some of the biggest names in RPG gaming: Wilf K. Backhaus, David A. Hargrave, Rob Heinsoo, Robin Laws, Dave Nalle, Mark Rein-Hagen, Jonathan Tweet, etc.  The vast majority of the content was about D&D, which I didn't play, and this other game which I totally hadn't heard about called RuneQuest.  At the time my limited gaming funds all went to Chivalry & Sorcery or Traveler so I never got to even read the books, much less play.  But it all sounded pretty cool and I was particularly intrigued by the non-medieval setting.   Nowadays the rules mechanics and the world setting "intellectual properties" are apparently owned by separate entities.  But I'd love to see reprints of the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment